Located at the Waisman Center of University of Wisconsin-Madison, our laboratory is part of the Department of Neuroscience and Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine Center. We strive to adapt, develop, and integrate state-of-art approaches to investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying neurogenesis and neuronal development.
Contact Phone: (608) 890-4392
We welcome three new lab members in August and September 2016:
- Jack Hunt, a UW MSTP (MD/PhD) student, has started his PhD research training in our lab.
- Lance Mulder, a MS student from University of Amsterdam (Netherlands), is now a research intern working with Dr. Meng Li.
- Mingjie Shen, a new postdoctoral fellow who recently obtained his PhD degree from Fudan University.
Hot New Publications!
- Jobe EM*, Yu Gao Y* (*equal contribution) Eisinger BE, Mladucky JK, Giuliani CC, Kelnhofer LE, and Zhao X. Methyl-CpG binding protein MBD1 regulates neuronal lineage commitment through maintaining adult neural stem cell identity. J. Neurosci. 2016
- Li M, Zhao H, Ananiev, GE, Musser M, Ness K, Maglaque D, Saha K, Bhattacharyya, A*., and Zhao, X* (*, co-correspondence). Establishment of reporter lines for detecting fragile X mental retardation (FMR1) gene reactivation in human neural cells. 2016 Stem Cells (see news release)
- Li Y, Stockton ME, Bhuiyan I, Eisinger BE, Yu Gao Y, Bhattacharyya A, and Zhao X. MDM2 Inhibition rescues neurogenic and cognitive deficits in fragile X mice Science Translational Medicine April 27 2016. (see news release April 27 2016)
- Gao Y*, Wang F*, Eisinger BE*, Kelnhofer LE, Jobe EM, Zhao X. “Integrative Single-Cell Transcriptomics Reveals Molecular Networks Defining Neuronal Maturation during Postnatal Neurogenesis.” Cerebral Cortex. (2016, March 17).
* contributed equally. (see News release March 172016)
Hot New Award!
- Laurel Kelnhofer (UW Biochemistry junior) is awarded Hilldale Fellowship for undergraduate research.
- Michael Stockton (UW Biology senior) is awarded the prestigious Waisman Center Intellectual Development and Disability Research Undergraduate Student Award.
- Xinyu Zhao becomes the first recipient of the Jenni and Kyle Professorship
- Yue (Kevin) Li won the competitive poster award: “Gregory Daniels Outstanding Poster Presentation Awards for the Fall Conference” of UW Stem Cell center ($1000 travel award to a scientific conference).
- Dianne Maglaque is awarded Trewartha undergraduate senior thesis award (UW L&S)! for her proposed thesis project on stem cells under supervision of Meng Li.
Dr. Zhao will co-chair the Keystone Symposium on Neurogenesis (Jan 8-12) 2017 (Joint meeting with Keystone Symposium Epigenetic Control of stem cells. one registration for both meetings)